Coloring solely the numbers in a numbered record can add a little bit of enjoyable or level out a critical merchandise in your Microsoft Phrase doc.
Numbered lists are simple to create in a Phrase doc. Sort the record, click on the Numbering choice within the Paragraph group on the Residence tab and Phrase provides a consecutive quantity to every record merchandise, beginning with 1. There’s loads you are able to do with that record although, and coloring the numbers separate from the textual content is among the best. On this article, we’ll create a easy record and apply colour to these numbers in three alternative ways.
SEE: 83 Excel ideas each person ought to grasp (TechRepublic)
I am utilizing Microsoft 365 on a Home windows 10 64-bit system, however you should utilize earlier variations. You possibly can obtain the demonstration .docx and .doc recordsdata, however you can too shortly create your personal record. This system is not supported by Phrase On-line.
Methods to add the numbers in Phrase
We’ll want a fast and easy record for demonstration functions. To save lots of time, you possibly can obtain the demonstration recordsdata or create a fast record of your personal. I am going to use the enjoyable record proven in Determine A. So as to add the numbers, choose the record after which click on Numbering within the Paragraph group on the Residence tab. Don’t fret if the quantity format is a bit totally different; this feature is sticky—it remembers the final quantity format and makes use of the identical one. Your numbers do not need to match however if you’d like them to, click on the Numbering dropdown and select the suitable format. Now that now we have an inventory of numbers, it is time to add the colour.
1. Outline a brand new format
Including colour to solely the numbers is simple as a result of Phrase helps a quantity format. By default, it matches the textual content, however you possibly can simply change it. First, choose the record; Phrase will not spotlight the numbers, although—that is regular. To paint the numbers, do the next:
- With the record chosen, click on the Numbering dropdown and select Outline New Quantity Format (it is on the backside of the dropdown record.
- This primary dialog allows you to change frequent codecs for the numbers. We cannot change these. As an alternative, click on Font.
- This subsequent dialog allows you to change the font colour for under the numbers. Keep in mind, we’re defining a quantity format. From the Font Shade dialog, select purple (or any colour you want), as proven in Determine B.
- Click on OK twice to return to the doc and the brightly coloured numbers proven in Determine C.
When you create the brand new format, it will likely be out there within the Numbering dropdown, as proven in Determine D, so you will not need to repeat these steps once more. Nonetheless, there’s one other approach.
2. Use a font colour
In the event you do not plan to make use of the coloured numbers once more, you do not have to create a brand new quantity format. The benefit of doing so is that the format—the coloured numbers—can be found within the Numbering dropdown. However there’s one other approach, and it is a tad faster:
- Double-click any quantity within the record. Doing so will spotlight solely the numbers, as proven in Determine E.
- Click on the Font Shade dropdown (within the Font group on the Residence tab) and select a colour from the palette. This time, I selected inexperienced, as you possibly can see in Determine F.
As talked about, the large distinction is that the inexperienced quantity format will not be out there within the Numbering dropdown. There’s another strategy to colour the numbers, nevertheless it takes a bit extra work.
SEE: Workplace 365: A information for tech and enterprise leaders (free PDF) (TechRepublic)
3. Alternate colours
Thus far, we have formatted all the numbers with the identical colour. Let’s suppose you need a number of numbers to be a unique colour. On this case, you want a clear record, so take away the numbers altogether. Then, click on Present/Disguise within the Paragraph group. We’ll use the paragraph marks to assign totally different colours to the numbers as follows:
- Choose the paragraph mark on the finish of the primary merchandise, Buy groceries.
- Click on the Font Shade dropdown and select Purple.
- Choose the second merchandise’s paragraph mark and select Inexperienced, as proven in Determine G. Discover that the paragraph marks tackle the chosen colour.
- Proceed alternating purple and inexperienced till you have formatted every paragraph mark, as proven in Determine H.
Now you are able to create the record. To take action, choose the record after which click on the Numbering choice within the Paragraph group. Determine I reveals the outcomes—form of cool and enjoyable! Click on Present/Disguise to cover the paragraph marks. You might additionally add the numbers after which colour the paragraph marks.
When making use of colour to extra critical content material, you may colour the quantity for just one merchandise—one thing that you just need to stand out. You can even colour bullet factors as proven in Determine J. On this case, you’d merely click on Bullets. The formatting is already there, and the change is instant. To work from scratch with bullets, the method is identical: choose the record after which select Outline New Bullet from the Bullets dropdown.
One factor to bear in mind is that the numbering function is sticky—I discussed this earlier than. So, should you transfer round and do different issues and are available again to the record, the expertise could be a bit totally different, which may be irritating. That is why defining a format is useful.