Kelly Tarlton’s SEA LIFE Aquarium, 23 Tamaki Dr; Orakei
Auckland, AUCKLAND, New Zealand
Are you passionate about Animal Husbandry and Welfare? Would you like to spend your day in one of Auckland’s most loved attractions, ensuring that our penguins receive the highest level of care and our guests have a fantastic experience?
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join our team of Penguin Keepers as an Assistant Penguin Keeper (part-time) at SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton’s Aquarium.
About the Role
This position involves assisting with the day to day care and management of our King and Gentoo penguins, their exhibit and life support systems.
Your duties include but are not limited to:
- Providing a suitable environment for our penguins which offers excellent welfare.
- Meeting all husbandry requirements of the penguins including cleaning, dietary, veterinary and breeding requirements.
- Observation and maintaining a high standard of record keeping.
- Conducting feeding presentations and educational talks to visitors as required.
- Maintaining a clean and safe working environment.
This position is part-time working each Saturday or Sunday and public holidays as required.
To succeed in this role you must have:
- An understanding of animals and their wellbeing
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent observation, organisational, record keeping and communication skills
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable including making the most of a challenging or unfamiliar environment
- Current New Zealand working rights
- Ability to bend/Stoop; Squat; Crawl; Crouch; Kneel; Balance; Climb Heights (4m); Carry and Lift up to 30kg
- Fantastic can do attitude
And it would be nice if you had:
- Knowledge and practical experience within the animal care industry
- Ideally have an understanding of modern zoo/ aquarium principles and practices
- Understanding of the 5 domains of Animal Welfare
- Computer skills using MS Teams, Office and Excel
- Corporate benefits including free access to all our attractions worldwide
- Domestic and global opportunities to develop and progress your skills and career in tourism and attractions
- Additional Leave (including birthday and wellbeing) and 3 volunteer days to give back to a social cause you care about
- Being part of a business built on fun
Merlin Entertainments is the company behind iconic brands like SEA LIFE, Madame Tussauds, LEGOLAND, and Peppa Pig World of Play. We operate in over 130 attractions across 25 countries, delivering memorable experiences to 54 million+ visitors a year. In Australia and New Zealand, we have 10 attractions, including SEA LIFE, Wild Life, Madame Tussauds, and the Fly Treetop Adventures, amongst others.
So, if you are vibrant and passionate about delivering an amazing service within a great company and in a team who loves what we do – then we want to hear from you!
Everyone Matters at Merlin.
At Merlin we welcome the world to our magical attractions and resorts every day and we want to reflect that same multicultural mix inside our business too. We strive to create an inclusive and diverse workplace where people can be themselves, have the same opportunities and thrive together. Because at Merlin, everyone matters!
Together, we work to create a workplace where everyone feels valued, no matter their age, race, gender, disability or sexual orientation. Although we understand that we’ll always be learning and growing, we aim to be the most inclusive and flexible employer in our industry.