Massive Magazine, founded in 2012, is Massey universities student magazine created to provide all Massey students a transparent and reliable news source. Massive Magazine distributes to the three campuses of Wellington, Albany and Manawatu. This position is based at the Wellington campus.
About the Role
This is a full time, fixed-term designer position starting January 17th and finishing October 10th 2022. In 2022 there will be 12 print and 12 online editions (weekly during semester) of Massive Magazine.The office is a fun, young, vibrant environment where you will be working alongside student volunteers, part-time staff and a full-time Editor.
The designer will be responsible for all visual and technical aspects of the production of Massive. The designer will also be asked to work closely with contributing illustrators and photographers to create a cohesive design. This role requires a candidate with strong decision making skills.
Hours of work will be determined by the production schedule. The position may require additional hours to be worked leading up to a print deadline.
- Responsible for the overall design and layout of Massive Magazine , the Massive Magazine website, marketing and promotional material.
- Work closely with contributing illustrators and photographers to create a cohesive design.
- Ensure all visual design is coherent with written content.
- Ensure that Massive Magazine has a high graphic design standard.
- Create a house style for Massive Magazine’s visual layout.
- Support the Massive Editor with Massive Magazine’s social media accounts.
- Upload visual content to the Massive Magazine website and publish it weekly.
- Provide occasional illustration and photography
- Other tasks as delegated by the Managing Editor
Ideal qualifications and experience:
- The successful applicant will ideally be a design graduate.
- Strong visual communication skills, understanding of various aspects of design including photography, illustration, and typography.
- Computer fluency, including Mac familiarity and robust knowledge of Adobe CS.
- Extensive experience with InDesign.
- Excellent understanding of news media and an interest in student journalism.
- Ability to organise, work effectively, prioritize tasks, work to deadlines, and identify issues before they become problems.
- Ability to work in a team and communicate with various stakeholders in a culturally safe manner.
Te Tiriti o Waitangi
Massive Magazine has a commitment to uphold the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi, the successful applicant will be sought to bring both a high-level of respect and a basic understanding of Te Ao Māori.